Table of Contents
The cryptocurrency industry is already on a steady rise. The beauty is that despite the lack of regulations (which we all hope will come in very soon), overwhelming concepts, and concerns from some traditional investors, cryptocurrency has emerged as a popular asset class. With brands like Tesla endorsing Bitcoin, crypto assets are getting mainstream acceptance. However, some pundits feel that the absence of traditional products holds up the sector. Cryptocurrency index funds emerge as a popular solution in the crypto world. Read the full article to know more.
What is a cryptocurrency index fund?
There is hardly any difference between cryptocurrency index funds and regular index ones. By defining the latter, the former shall become implicit.
So, what is an index fund? An index fund is a passively managed fund that imitates a market index. When we say we passively managed funds, they don’t need managers to make decisions; rather, they follow the market index.
A market index is a basket of assets available in the financial market, designed as a benchmark to evaluate a sector’s performance, often reflecting financial trends. For example, NIFTY 50 is a benchmark index representing the top 50 largest Indian companies’ performance. By extension, a NIFTY 50 index fund mimics the NIFTY 50 index and thus will be similar.
Cryptocurrency index funds, on the other hand, track cryptocurrency indexes. Cryptocurrency indexes are designed as a benchmark of the performance of the entire sector.
Weighing Methodologies for cryptocurrency index funds
The majority of the indexes shall fall under one of the two categories based on their construction.
- The price-weighted index gives equal weightage to all the assets present. Simply put, adding the price of all assets and dividing it by the total number of assets will give you the performance.
- The capitalization-weighted index gives relative weightage to assets based on their market capitalization. So, assets with a large market cap will greatly affect the market even if their individual price is low.
Famous cryptocurrency index funds and indexes
- Bloomberg Galaxy Crypto Index is a benchmark index that measures the performance of the largest cryptocurrencies traded in US dollars. It is weighted based on the market cap of the constituents. Bitcoins and Ethereum are the top constituents weighing 30 percent each.
- TaiFu Index is a market-cap-weighted index that tracks the 30 largest cryptocurrencies of a day.
- Lykke Cryptocurrency Index(LyCI) consolidates the top 25 cryptocurrencies, weighted by respective market cap. However, this is for information purposes only. LyCI 2.0 is likely to arrive soon so that investors can directly buy the LyCI over individual assets.
- Bitwise Investment Funds: One of the well-known crypto index funds. The managing company, Bitwise Asset Management, is also the creator of the world’s largest crypto fund worth $800 million. These funds invest in their indexes like Bitwise 10 Large Cap & Bitwise 100 total market. Very recently, the company has also launched DeFi (Decentralised Finance) Crypto Index Fund.
- Crypto20: It is the first tokenized crypto-only fund that uses seed funding to buy the underlying assets. It represents the relevant top 20 largest cryptocurrencies. The list itself is periodically reviewed. This index fund is preferred for its autonomous and transparent nature.
- Grayscale Digital Large Cap Fund: These funds comprise digital assets that collectively make up about 70 percent of the market. As of now, the components are Bitcoin (80%), Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin. These funds are very secure as they are stored in cold storage with a trusted custodian, Coinbase.
Index Funds: A big leap in the Crypto Industry
Here’s how index funds can impact the crypto industry.
Crypto asset price prediction is challenging. Period. Cryptocurrency index funds give users exposure to diversification. Analyzing the performance of individual crypto assets and then allocating capital involves a lot of work. Rather one can buy a variety of assets in a single purchase.
It allows them to build diversified portfolios of crypto assets and thereby increase their capital. With automated tracking, they can be assured that their assets are safe and follow the indexes, making it somewhat beginner-friendly.
Attract new investors
Many people are keen to buy cryptocurrency in India and other emerging economies. Yet, they are doubtful about the technology and safeness of the venture.
Crypto index funds will be a plausible reason for new investors who are skeptical. Yes, the industry is still going to be volatile and susceptible, and highly risky. But investors need not analyze and confuse as to which assets to invest in. Rather than worrying about buying Bitcoin or Ethereum in India, users will be exposed to a wide variety of crypto assets in a single fund. This will make it easier for investors.
Many financial institutions have foreseen the potential of cryptocurrency. They have taken progressive steps to venture into this new space. For instance, S&P Dow Jones is launching its own crypto indexes. The blockchain-based digital currency can gain further popularity as a transparent option against manipulative & inflationary assets.
Crypto index funds are indeed selling crypto assets as tractableasset classes. With Parliaments and financial organizations already speaking about standards and benchmarking, you can expect cryptocurrencies to become more accessible investor-friendly.
The Bitcoin market is unquestionably more volatile than the stock market. This may not be the market for you if you are incredibly risk-averse. Ethereum, on the other hand, may be a terrific investment for you if you're a diamond-handed investor who won't lose sight of short-term losses. Ethereum is a relatively safe investment as it is also based on blockchain.
Cryptocurrency investments are subject to market risks, but if sufficient security measures are not taken, trading accounts can be maliciously accessed. Investments come with risks and uncertainties, and we cannot claim that any digital currency investment is risk-free. Buying and selling cryptocurrencies can be risky even if the trader is knowledgeable about the market and treats their coins carefully.
The best cryptocurrencies to invest in would be the ones you study and analyze in detail. Some of the most popular cryptocurrencies include Bitcoin, Ethereum, and many altcoins such as Tron, Ripple, Litecoin, etc.
There are two ways of investing in cryptocurrency, mining and via exchanges. Cryptocurrency mining is considered the procedure of verifying and adding transactions to the blockchain public ledger. Another option is via cryptocurrency exchanges. Exchanges generate money by collecting transaction fees, but there are alternative websites where you can interact directly with other users who want to trade cryptocurrencies.
Cryptocurrency has the potential to make you extremely wealthy, and the potential to cause you to lose your money. Crypto assets, like any other investment, come with many risks and potential rewards. Fundamentally, cryptocurrency is an excellent investment, particularly if you want to gain direct exposure to the demand for digital currency.
There are over 5000 other digital currencies available on the internet in addition to Bitcoins. The only problem is that they haven't gotten the users' attention. Besides Bitcoins, a few other digital currencies have gained popularity among users. It's been more than ten years since Bitcoins were first released, and now they've achieved new heights thanks to their phenomenal success.
Bitcoin has had the highest market capitalization, has been around the longest, has the most experienced development team, and has enormous network impact and brand recognition. As a result, while trading cryptocurrencies, the rate of return on Bitcoin is commonly used as a benchmark. However, the risks associated with cryptocurrencies remain, and the safest cryptocurrency for you depends on your analysis.
A cryptocurrency is a digital currency secured by encryption, due to which chances of activities such as counterfeiting and double-spending taking place get close to impossible. Cryptocurrencies get created on blockchain technology ( a distributed ledger enforced by a distributed network of computers). Cryptocurrencies are unique in that they do not get issued by any central authority. The term "cryptocurrency" comes from the encryption techniques used to keep digital currencies and the network safe.
A cryptocurrency is a digital currency that is secured by the process of cryptography, making counterfeiting and double-spending almost impossible to happen. Blockchain technology is used to produce cryptocurrencies ( a distributed ledger enforced by a distributed network of computers). Cryptocurrencies are distinct in that a centralized authority does not issue them.
There are two ways of investing in cryptocurrency, mining and via exchanges. Cryptocurrency mining is the process of verifying and adding transactions between users to the blockchain public ledger. Purchasing cryptocurrency in India is a straightforward procedure where investors simply participate by registering with a crypto exchange such as WazirX. After registering for an account, citizens can trade multiple cryptocurrencies, store cryptocurrency in wallets, and more.