You can either make it or break it while investing in altcoins. Some may call it a gamble, while others might mark altcoin investment as their sorcerer’s stone. But none can deny that currently, altcoin investment is the hottest fad on the scene. The crypto markets grow exciting and unpredictable each day while the world warms up to the utilities of altcoins and Blockchain.
With investors thronging from all walks of life, it is unsurprising that we find you reading this piece. As beginners, a few handy altcoins tips can help us wade through difficult waters in investing. Read on our 7 most useful altcoin tips for investment to grow your kitty exponentially with time:
#1 Look Before You Leap
However basic this move may sound to you, you cannot jump into any trading or investment arena- whether of stocks or altcoins, without sound knowledge about the market and the coins you want to invest in.
- Crypto markets operate 24×7 and are more volatile than the regular stock markets that are mediated by regulatory authorities, such as the SEBI in India, and deal in pegged financial instruments. You need to understand that crypto markets often witness quickly changing moods. Keeping a tab on the history of the market or performance of a particular altcoin, investor sentiments, current developments in the crypto space, bearish or bullish trends in the market,, and other such parameters can help you understand the ergonomics involved.
- You need not empty your altcoin kitty each time prices rise or vice versa. Go for the coins you believe in, read their whitepaper, check their team and roadmap, the technology they employ, to further back your confidence.
- Next, Having an investment strategy with a clear mission in mind can help you sail through the toughest of times. Think whether you would like to hold the coin for minutes, hours, days, months, or even years. Or whether you want to day trade or ‘bag hold’ the altcoins for the long term.
- Choose a reliable cryptocurrency exchange to trade or transact in altcoins. For instance, WazirX, the most trusted cryptocurrency exchange in India, lets you trade securely in the fastest and easiest way possible. To start trading now, click here.
#2 Avoid Putting All Eggs in One Basket
The crypto sphere is a volatile territory where events such as a slight technical team spat in Tezos or Musk calling out ‘DOGE, DOGE, BABY DOGE’ on Twitter can break or make markets respectively. It would be, therefore, foolish to invest in a single currency. Diversify your investments in multiple altcoins. For beginners, it would be the safest to bet on the top 10 altcoins by market capitalization, besides Bitcoin, such as Dash, ETH, XRP, Litecoin, Cardano, etc.
Bonus altcoin investment tip: Invest in altcoins that are yet to realize their full growth potential to see your investment grow several times as the altcoin gets big with time.
#3 Believe in Fundamentals
Unlike traditional stocks, altcoins are much more than mere financial instruments to be traded. They come with their own set of concrete goals. Some help in mediating the price of currencies, others help accelerate payment transactions, while others strengthen the transparency and accountability of a particular platform, say, smart contract platforms such as Ethereum or NEO, or decentralized storage networks such as Filecoin or Storj. Instead of going for the popular opinion, stick to this two-fold strategy of assessing the fundamentals behind the coin:
- Assess the feasibility, practical application, and scope of the concept behind the altcoin to determine its longevity.
- Analyze the scope and impact of its upcoming partnerships and releases on its market performance.
Bonus altcoin investment tip: Instead of going for coins in different ‘categories’ as discussed above, diversify your portfolio within the category to hedge your risks.
#4 Go Technical, Shun Emotions
Avoid FOMO or any gut, liver, or heart feeling a numbered proof doesn’t back that. Learning a few nuances of technical analysis can help you multiply your crypto investments. You can easily identify whether the price is going upwards or downwards, fluctuate or stagnate, and align your investment strategy accordingly. For instance, if you are aware of the 50-day SMA (Simple Moving Average) for a particular altcoin, you can identify bullish price changes once the price of the altcoin starts moving above its SMA.
Another useful technical indicator can be the ATH(All-Time-High) price of an altcoin. You can evaluate what proportion of the ATH value of the altcoin is relative to its current price. These indicators, if studied regularly before trading, can help make informed trading decisions.
#5 Whether to Stake, Mine or HODL
There can be several ways to build your crypto investments depending on the kind of altcoin you have invested in:
- Hodling cryptocurrencies is the safest, simplest and fastest method to generate passive income from your investments. All you need is to invest in altcoins via a reliable exchange using a safe crypto wallet. You can buy cryptocurrencies in small fractions and slowly increase your holdings.
- Staking is another way to earn passive income on your altcoin investment by freezing or ‘staking’ them on a particular network and earning interest.
- You can also earn dividends regularly via mining altcoins. Cloud mining or joining a mining pool can be feasible options for individuals who want to earn rewards via mining as solo mining is an expensive and difficult affair especially in the case of Bitcoin.
#6 Hedge Your Crypto Investments
Playing smart in the diversification game is the key to hedge your crypto investments. How to do that? Think out of the box to diversify your investments beyond cryptos in stocks, gold, and other conventional instruments to build your portfolio across markets. A combination of stocks and cryptos in your portfolio can help you overcome the high correlation in the crypto market. To put it simply, an upward shift in Bitcoin, which holds 45% of the crypto market share, results in a similar trend in the broader crypto market and vice versa every time. As such, there are no actual ‘safe crypto assets’ on which you can bank upon in case the market crashes. No wonder major investment funds seem to be intent on exploring a combination of the two these days.
#7 Begin Small, Go for Liquidity
Go for a test run before you play the actual innings in the crypto market. Begin with small investments to steadily consolidate your investment portfolio over time. Once you realize you are on the right track, there’s no going slow. Regular trading is another simple trick to keep your investments moving and multiplying.
Liquidity in crypto investments is paramount to play safe and ensure fluidity. Many times, investors go for altcoins with low trading volumes. This move can prove to be a handicap. The altcoin price may increase several times, but you cannot actually sell them to reap the gains. Even if you are able to sell a large number of coins, it is possible that the prices may crash due to zero liquidity. How to play safe then? Avoid low-volume altcoins altogether!
Do comment down below and tell us which one of the above altcoin tips would form a part of your cryptocurrency investment strategy for 2021!
A cryptocurrency is a digital currency that is secured by the process of cryptography, making counterfeiting and double-spending almost impossible to happen. Blockchain technology is used to produce cryptocurrencies ( a distributed ledger enforced by a distributed network of computers). Cryptocurrencies are distinct in that a centralized authority does not issue them.
Bitcoin may be invested in two ways: through mining or exchanges. Bitcoin mining is carried out by high-powered computers that solve challenging computational arithmetic problems that are too difficult to complete by hand and complex enough to tax even the most powerful computers. WazirX, a Bitcoin exchange, is another alternative.
Some investors are afraid of the risks or devastation, but others are very eager to pursue the possibility of profit from a Bitcoin investment. A Bitcoin investment is similar to stock investing, except it can be more volatile.
Bitcoin has had the highest market capitalization, has been around the longest, has the most experienced development team, and has enormous network impact and brand recognition. As a result, while trading cryptocurrencies, the rate of return on Bitcoin is commonly used as a benchmark. However, the risks associated with cryptocurrencies remain, and the safest cryptocurrency for you depends on your analysis.
Cryptocurrency has the potential to make you extremely wealthy, and the potential to cause you to lose your money. Crypto assets, like any other investment, come with many risks and potential rewards. Fundamentally, cryptocurrency is an excellent investment, particularly if you want to gain direct exposure to the demand for digital currency.